Between 15, Sir Edward Guldeford had a circular tower built on a split of land halfway between Winchelsea and Rye in order to defend the harbour of the Camber.
This tower was a single storey high, with provision for guns on the roof and The threat of invasion grew more pronounced in 1538 when France and Spain, the two most powerful Catholic nations in Europe, signed the truce of Nice.
In 1539 Henry VIII decided to double the height of the circular tower and add further gun terraces to defend against attacks from France and Spain who had signed a peace treaty in 1538.
The castle was completed in 1544 and by this time it had 4 bastions with different level gun decks.
However, the anchorage of the Camber began to silt up and became unusable by the end of the 16th century, stranding the coastal fort several miles from the water.
The garrison was disbanded in 1637 and the castle was abandoned.
Indeed, the round bastions of the device forts were almost obselete as soon as they were constructed.
At this time many goods were imported here and shipped locally, these included french wines which were mostly sold on from Winchelsea .
There were two ports on the shores of the Camber; Rye (which was owned by the French until 1247) and Winchelsea (which was rebuilt farther to the west in 1288 after Old Winchelsea was submerged).
Both towns became members of the Cinque Ports in the 12th century, which meant that they received special priviledges in return for providing the King with ships and men.
This effect was augmented by the central tower, which was given an extra storey and formed the highest part of the defences.
The new outer bastions were able to give flanking fire along the angled walls that linked them, although rounded bastions could never be adequately covered themselves.
Camber Castle has suffered from weathering, particularly on seaward facing walls, but remains an unusual example of an unaltered Henrican device fort.